Friday, July 14, 2017

Day with nieces

Today I was excited to be able to spend a handful of time with my nieces! Collette is 3 and her big sister is a whopping 5... and Lailah had given me a few ideas of activities which I could absorb them in to catch their interest.

Lailah knows about my love of art and painting so today I helped my nieces create paintings of their own. Her exact words were that "Amelia will be able to listen, but Collette may just slather the paint on". Her words could not have been more appropriate! Technically the assignment was they were creating a painting for Lailah's sister Gihan (whose birthday is actually today), and I essentially gave them free reign regarding what they were going to paint. (As it's best if the painter actually cares about what they are actually painting)

Amelia really wanted to paint a cat for Gigi and Collette decided to go the more traditional birthday route and I sketched an easy birthday cake for her to fill in. I made a mistake... I sketched the outline of their painting subjects so that they would simply paint around the predetermined lines. But, I realized after the fact that I probably should have followed Lailah's advice and actually began the painting for them- essentially paint the beginning lines instead of using colored pencil. Oh well!

We had a blast together and I'm looking forward to this routine possibly becoming a little more regular during my summer. First of all I was able to give Martha (Lailah's mom) a little break from feeling as though she must keep them busy and entertained all on her own AND I completely enjoyed my morning/afternoon with my wonderful nieces.









Enjoy my captured photos/videos from today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment